Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Wedding


I shared with you before the wedding, the plans that we had made.  So instead of giving you another description of everything that happened, I think I will share with you my unique perspective during that monumental week of my life and the feelings that I experienced.

In the days leading up to the wedding, I was somewhat stressed.  Ok, I was very stressed.  People were arriving on different days and there seemed to be a lot of problems with people getting here when they were scheduled to.  I blame the Miami airport for this, but I really don’t know who’s at fault.  All of our lists of things to do did not get done before people started to arrive as we had hoped and to top it all off Eddy was sick and getting worse by the day.  Fever, sore throat, body aches, etc.  Our house was full of suitcases and all of my house wares that my family brought down for me.  It was really nice to have my family and friends in Santiago and I was so happy to have them there to stay at my house and spend time with Eddy’s family, but I had a hard time enjoying it.   Even though we were able to do most of the things that we had planned to dos, and even though I was really trying, I could not relax.  My mind was spinning.  I was worried about trying to make my family as comfortable as possible, I was worried about my list of things to do with no time to do them, I was worried about Eddy and the fact that he was not himself because he was sick.  (For those of you who know Eddy personally you will find it amusing that at first my family thought he was quiet.)  My visitors, through all of this, were great, they were gracious when the first day we had no running water all day and the second day when there was no electricity.  They went with the flow and as I think about it now, everything actually did go pretty smoothly.  It was my inability to relax that was the problem.

But then something happened.  My family and Eddy’s family were packed (tightly) into the bus and we were finally on our way to Jarabacoa.  I had given the bus driver a CD of praise and worship songs to play and I was sitting next to my future husband listening to my favorite songs, looking out at the mountains and suddenly became very aware of how loved I was.  For a big part of my life, I let the enemy convince me that I was not loved, in fact, that I was unlovable.  But in that moment, God opened my eyes, and I looked around this bus crammed full of 30 people who love me.  One of whom, loves me so much that he was about to willingly choose to spend the rest of his life with me.  And then I became aware of how much God loves me as well because He is the one who put all of these people in my life and He is the one that brought me and Eddy together and He worked in the hearts of our families and friends and helped them choose to support us in our decision.  That is the other thing that I felt: support.  All of my friends and family that came to wedding were not just there to relax and enjoy the day.  They were put to work.  They were ironing dresses and steaming veils.  They were doing our hair and makeup.  They were tying bows and putting together flower arrangements.  They were taking pictures and videotaping.  They were setting up music equipment and cooking sancocho.  Everyone choose to chip in and help because, they supported us in our marriage and wanted to be a part of our wedding.

On that bus ride to Jarabacoa, I found peace and I guarded that peace because I wanted to hold on to it.  Although the stress came here and there, when the ceremony was held because the flowers were late, when the food was late and people were getting bored, and when the music at the reception was a complete disaster, those are not the things that I remember when I think about that day.  When I think about that day, I remember getting ready in the morning with my sisters and Katie and Marci.  I remember my uncle’s reaction when I came out of my room in my wedding dress.  I remember watching everyone take their seats and Eddy walk his mom and my mom down the aisle.  I remember that the ceremony was perfect.  I remember being full of joy, looking into the eyes of the man I love, saying our vows, promising our lives to each other in front of our family and friends and just as I had hoped, I remember feeling wrapped up in the arms of God surrounded by His creation.  I remember the hug that I got from my brother after the ceremony. I remember the toasts that were given by my sisters and by Katie. I remember my mom going around and taking pictures of all of the Eddy’s family.  I remember Dan telling me about the pictures he got of Eddy’s face when he first saw me.  I remember Katie C. dealing with every issue that came up so that we wouldn’t have to.  I remember George and Dan entertaining us with their fans at the table.  I remember dancing my father daughter dance with my dad.  I remember my first dance with my husband to the song “I will be here” by Steven Curtis Chapman.  I remember purposely throwing the bouquet to Christine because I knew (and she didn’t) that in a few days she would be engaged.   I remember Melissa taking fun pictures of us after the reception.   But most of all, I remember Eddy singing me his song.  It was a classic Spanish song, but I had never heard it.  There are no words to explain what I felt, but it was the perfect song and he looked so handsome and happy as he sang it. 
Un Pacto con Dios
 
Solamente yo queria
decirte por si no lo sabias
que estoy pensando en ti
en cada momento
siento aquellas tentaciones
idioma de dos corazones
que aprehendieron a amarse
de un modo ideal
lo nuestro no tiene final
 
un pacto con dios hicimos tu y yo
y nada en el mundo tiene mas valor
asi es este amor que no se rompe ouuu no
no me cansare de repetirtelo
tu vas mas alla de ser mi gran pasion
dejame decirte que
que te quiero
 
tu naciste siendo bella
mas bella que cualquier estrella
asi eres tu para mi asi eres tu
parecia fantasia que alcanzarte no podia
y aprehendimos a amarnos del modo ideal
lo nuestro no tiene final
 
un pacto con dios hicimos tu y yo
y nada en el mundo tiene mas valor
asi es este amor que no se rompe ouuu no
no me cansare de repetirtelo
tu vas mas alla de ser mi gran pasion
dejame decirte que
que te quiero
 
si vivo contigo, si muero contigo
dejame decirte que que te quiero
 
TE QUIERO

3 comments:

  1. Ok, now I'm crying. Great description of the events - feels like we were there with you. Many, many blessings to you and Eddy - we love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve Love your posts, thank you for sharing. We miss you. ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie I am impressed with your wisdom. When we go thu life we make choices and then life just happens and we learn we cannot control everything and that is when we realize ultimtely God is in control. But it is through our prespective of things that the road can go one way or the other. Focusing on the negative can take away our joy. Choose joy Carrie that is what God has intended for our life grace & joy! Lee Ann

    ReplyDelete