Tuesday, March 30, 2010

illiana group

So life has been really crazy over the last couple of weeks and I have had absolutely no time to blog. I am way behind so I will have to write about my haircut and beach trip another time. For now, I want to write about the awesome Illiana work team that is here this week. I am exhausted. It has been a week of construction, long days, and getting to know some great kids.

They arrived last Saturday night and will be leaving us early Monday morning. On Sunday, they began their week by sitting in on our Sunday School classes and attending our worship services. In the afternoon, we had an Easter activity. We had almost 100 kids show up. Most of them are students from our school, but others were from the neighborhood or friends and neighbors of our students. We were not expecting that many kids, but it was very exciting. The group performed a skit and helped with the craft and the games. We wanted to give them an opportunity to interact with some of the kids that they were helping by being here.

We did construction work on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We got a lot accomplished. They worked on bending and cutting re-bar and forming baskets and attaching those baskets to the existing columns. They also poured seven columns and finished two of the walls. We are definitely much closer to finishing the first floor. They worked very hard (starting at 6:30 a few of the days) and were very good sports even when setbacks happened.

On Wednesday we went to the beach. The beaches here in the Dominican Republic are so beautiful. Katie and I enjoyed shopping with the girls and helping them barter, making sure that they weren't ripped off. We all had dinner together (at the place offering 1/2 off, of course) and then spent a long 3 hour ride home in the vans.

Today was our last work day, and even though Katie and I could barely get out of bed, we arrived to find the group 'pumped' and ready to get to work. They achieved the goals that they had set for themselves and can definitely feel a sense of accomplishment. Today, Katie and I stayed after work and had dinner with them and also stayed for the evening activity for the first time because we heard that it was going to be line dancing. We had a great time line dancing and playing games with them. They are an awesome group of kids and I have really enjoyed getting to know them and hanging out with them.

It is midnight now, and we just got home. We barely remember the time when we used to do more than just sleep at our apartment, but it has definitely been worth it. Tomorrow is the group's last day here. I am excited to spend Easter with them. We have Sunday School and church, then lunch at the monument, and then a goodbye activity planned for the evening. I will post pictures tomorrow or Monday, but for now, I am going to bed.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you had a great Easter with the group. If it helps, you didn't miss anything here. Mom, Ellie, and I all worked :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a great Easter. Heather is right we all worked, so you probably would have been sad if you were here for the holiday. I actually had enchiladas for dinner Easter day.

    ReplyDelete