Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Pieces of Home

My life in the Dominican Republic is very different than my life in the United States.  A couple weeks ago, I became aware that what I consider normal day-to-day life had changed drastically since moving to the DR.  I tried to take notice of all of the things that are so normal to me now.  Here is a small list of the things that I noticed, so that you can have an idea of what I mean.

My New Normal
1- tripping over chickens before getting on our moped to head off to work
2- having to stop and wait because there are a herd of cows blocking the whole road  (trying to hold my breath as long as possible)
3- looking at the most beautiful mountains that surround us on both sides
4- having to stop in the middle of a conversation several times a day to wait for a loud motorcycle to go by
5- speaking spanish all day
6- having visitors regularly drop by unannounced
7- regularly dropping by other people's houses unannounced
8- weather that never drops below 60
9- being woken up every night by dogs and cats and roosters
10-  regularly losing electricity and running water
11- living in a house that is made completely of cement
12- greeting everyone with a hug and a kiss on the cheek

As is the case most of the time, these changes are both negative and positive. I have grown very accustomed to my new normal and I love living in the DR but there is never a time that I forget that I am in a different country, I am always aware of the fact that I am very far from home and home-sickness is something I continue to struggle with. The thing that helps the most is skyping with friends and family.  However, a couple months ago I discovered that finding "pieces of home" helps a lot as well.

In October, I was missing Fall.  The cooler weather, pumpkins, and caramel apples.  When I found and bought a decorative pumpkin at the supermarket, I realized how much such a small thing could make me feel a little less far away from home.  My mom also sent me some candy corn and caramels to make my own caramel apples.  Since then, whenever I am feeling like I am on the opposite side of the world, I look for a couple pieces of home and it helps.  Another example is that for about 1 week the grocery store had cinnamon rolls, which is what my family has every Sunday for breakfast.  To be able to make cinnamon rolls for me and Eddy for a couple Sundays, was very exciting for me and it was so nice to be able to share that family tradition with him.

I have been thinking about starting a new series of posts in which I post the pictures of the different pieces of home that I find here in the DR or that are sent to me in a care package.  A few years ago, I took for granted how readily available all of these things were to me, but now, each time I find one, it is special.  My first piece of home that I would like to share with you is one of my favorite ornaments, a Christmas Eve gift from my mom several years ago.  Having it on my tree this year, for my first Christmas in the DR, made me happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment