Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I made it

I arrived in Santiago last night and was welcomed by Shelley and Mark at the airport as well as by hot, humid, rainy weather. Quite a difference from the cold, snowy weather in Chicago. It is two hours later here, so it will probably take me a few days to get used to the change.

My first day in the Dominican Republic has been a good one. I somehow was able to sleep through the roosters crowing and the work crew working on the house next door and slept in pretty late. We got ready and headed into downtown to run some errands. The traffic still scares me, I had to close my eyes a few times until we got through certain intersections :) We went to the supermarket and got groceries and I was able to replace the shampoo and other things that I had to leave behind due to my suitcases being overweight.

I seem to know even less Spanish than I thought, but I am still hopeful that I will learn it fast. After we got home, I played Wii tennis and bowling with Mark and Sarah and didn't even win one game. That is all for now. Over the next couple days I will be getting the chance to meet more people, go to church, and do someone work at the school. But for now it has been nice to relax, and get settled in. I hope to post some pictures by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment