Sunday, January 10, 2010

Last night we had the staff Christmas party and it was a lot of fun. It was nice to get to meet all of the other teachers and aides that I will be working with. Some of the highlights included them surprising me with another birthday cake and singing happy birthday to me and then i recieved my first frosting face smear. It is a Dominican tradition for people to smear the frosting in the face of the person whose birthday it is. Dominican frosting is very sticky, so it is pretty much like having chewed gum smeared on your face and in your hair. It was awesome. Another highlight was watching some of them play Wii bowling for the first time. I have never heard anyone cheer as loud as they did when someone got the first strike.

Today I participated in adult Sunday School before church. Thankfully, I was asked to do nursery during the sermon of the service, so I got a break from the Spanish for a little while. I also tasted my first Dominican Chinese food for lunch. It's a mix of Dominican food with some Chinese mixed in. I was a little nervous about but it was pretty good.

Tomorrow is the kid's first day back at school after a three week break. Things are going to be a little crazy but I am really excited about teaching English. I really liked my job over the last few months but I do miss teaching and I am looking forward to getting back to it.

I should probably get to bed since I have to get up at 6am tomorrow morning. I will definitely be taking pictures this week of the school and the students and try to post them by the end of the week.

1 comment:

  1. If you really missed teaching so much I would have been MORE than happy to turn over the IEPs, scheduling, and EVERYTHING else (especially transportation--oh, if someone else will get their CDL we can have another yellow bus, but so far no takers)!!! So happy things are going well for you. Mary has taken your place and the kids seem to be back in the swing. Still no word when we are going to be moving...2011??? We all miss you.
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete