Saturday, January 9, 2010

saturday morning

So I just finished what was probably my 20th peanut butter sandwich since I got here and hoping that the electricity comes back on soon so that I don't have to take a freezing cold shower today. However, I did find a couple English channels on the cable. I guess I am still getting used to life here in the DR.

Yesterday when we got to the church, Guille was there and Shelley's friend Tammi came a little bit later and they surprised me with some cake with a candle and sang happy birthday to me. At that point I did get a little emotional and a little home sick but I was able to hold it together. I was so touched by how hard they were trying to make me feel like part of the family that in return it made me realize that I was so far away from my family.

The rest of the afternoon was very productive, we went through all of the new school supplies that Shelley brought back with her, cleaned and organized the classrooms and office and started setting up for the Christmas party tonight. Unfortunately, on Thursday night, someone had tried to use the water and there must have been no running water at that point and they left the knob switched on. So when we got there on Friday afternoon, the water had come back on and two of the rooms were completely flooded. I guess this is not an uncommon occurance.

Some of the teachers came while we were there so it was nice to be able to meet them. Eddy, the PE teacher asked me, with the help of Tammi, if I would teach him English and return he would teach me Spanish. I told him he had a deal. I'm not sure how that is going to work but I guess we will see. I also was able to plan for my first week of classes and I am starting to get excited about getting to teach again.

I am going to try to post a couple of pictures of my room and some of the school and church, and then I am going to check if the electricity is back on. Wish me luck.


p.s. Ok, so I just need to make sure to clear this up. I only slept until 1 pm that one time. Otherwise I have been waking up around at a normal time. However starting tomorrow, I am going to have to wake up around 6 am, so that is definitely going to take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment